A portable radio
A small radio that can be moved easily is an example of something that would be described as portable.
- that can be carried
- easily carried or moved, esp. by hand: a portable TV
- that can be used anywhere because operated by self-contained batteries: a portable radio
- Obs. bearable; endurable
Origin of portableMiddle English from Middle French from Late Latin portabilis from portare: see fare
- Carried or moved with ease: a portable typewriter; a portable generator.
- Capable of being transferred from one employer to another. Used of an employee benefit.
- Computers Relating to or being software that can run on two or more kinds of computers or with two or more kinds of operating systems.
- Obsolete Bearable; endurable.
Origin of portableMiddle English from Old French from Late Latin portābilis from Latin portāre to carry ; see per-2 in Indo-European roots.
- por′ta·bil′i·ty por′ta·ble·ness
(comparative more portable, superlative most portable)
From French portable.