- The definition of portable is something that can be moved easily from place to place.
A small radio that can be moved easily is an example of something that would be described as portable.
portable definition by Webster's New World
- that can be carried
- easily carried or moved, esp. by hand: a portable TV
- that can be used anywhere because operated by self-contained batteries: a portable radio
- Obsolete bearable; endurable
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French ; from Late Latin portabilis ; from portare: see fare
- portability noun
portable definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Carried or moved with ease: a portable typewriter; a portable generator.
- Capable of being transferred from one employer to another. Used of an employee benefit.
- Computer Science Relating to or being software that can run on two or more kinds of computers or with two or more kinds of operating systems.
- Obsolete Bearable; endurable.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin portābilis, from Latin portāre, to carry; see per-2 in Indo-European roots.
- porˌta·bilˈi·ty, porˈta·ble·ness noun
- porˈta·bly adverb