- Polygamy is defined as having more than one spouse at a time.
When a man is married to three women at the same time, this is an example of polygamy.
polygamy definition by Webster's New World
- the state or practice of having two or more spouses at the same time; plural marriage
- Zool. the practice of mating with more than one of the opposite sex
Origin: French polygamie ; from Classical Greek polygamia: see poly- and amp; -gamy
- polygamist noun
polygamy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The condition or practice of having more than one spouse at one time. Also called plural marriage.
- Zoology A mating pattern in which a single individual mates with more than one individual of the opposite sex.
Origin: French polygamie, from Late Latin polygamia, from Greek polugamiā : polu-, poly- + -gamiā, -gamy.
polygamy - Cultural Definition
The practice of having several wives or husbands at the same time. (Compare monogamy.)
polygamy - Legal Definition