polygyny[pə lij′ə nē, pō-]
- the state or practice of having two or more wives at the same time
- Bot. the fact of having many styles or pistils
- Zool. the mating of a male animal with more than one female
Origin of polygyny; from Modern Latin polygynia ; from poly- + Classical Greek gynē, woman, wife: see gyno-
- The condition or practice of having more than one wife at one time.
- Zoology a. A mating pattern in which a male mates with more than one female in a single breeding season.b. The condition of having more than one queen. Used of an insect colony.
From Ancient Greek πολύ (poly, “many”) + γυνή (gunē, “woman, wife”).