polygyny[pə lij′ə nē, pō-]
- the state or practice of having two or more wives at the same time
- Bot. the fact of having many styles or pistils
- Zool. the mating of a male animal with more than one female
Origin: from Modern Latin polygynia from poly- plush Glassical Greek gynē, woman, wife: see gyno-
- polygynous adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The condition or practice of having more than one wife at one time.
- Zoology A mating pattern in which a male mates with more than one female in a single breeding season.
- po·lygˈy·nous adjective