- Pertain is defined as to relate or connect to something.
An example of pertain is for evidence to refer to a particular crime.
pertain definition by Webster's New World
- to belong; be connected or associated; be a part, accessory, etc.: lands pertaining to an estate
- to be appropriate or suitable: conduct that pertains to a lady
- to have reference or relevance; be related: laws pertaining to the case
Origin: Middle English partenen ; from Old French partenir ; from Classical Latin pertinere, to stretch out, reach ; from per-, intensive plush tenere, to hold: see thin
pertain definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb per·tained, per·tain·ing, per·tains
- To have reference; relate: evidence that pertains to the accident.
- To belong as an adjunct, part, holding, or quality.
- To be fitting or suitable.
Origin: Middle English pertenen, pertainen, from Old French partenir, from Latin pertinēre : per-, per- + tenēre, to hold; see ten- in Indo-European roots.
pertain - Phrases/Idioms