- Archaic a room set aside for the entertainment of guests; formal sitting room
- Old-fashioned any living room
- a small, semiprivate sitting room or meeting room apart from the main lounges in a hotel, inn, etc.
- Old-fashioned a business establishment elegantly furnished to resemble a private sitting room: an ice-cream parlor
- now, a shop or business establishment of a specified kind, often with some special equipment or furnishings for personal services: a beauty parlor, tattoo parlor, off-track betting parlor
Origin of parlorMiddle English parlour from Old French parleor from parler: see parley