Variant of parlor.
Variant of parlor
- Archaic a room set aside for the entertainment of guests; formal sitting room
- Old-fashioned any living room
- a small, semiprivate sitting room or meeting room apart from the main lounges in a hotel, inn, etc.
- Old-fashioned a business establishment elegantly furnished to resemble a private sitting room: an ice-cream parlor
- now, a shop or business establishment, often with some special equipment or furnishings for personal services: a beauty parlor
Origin of parlorMiddle English parlour ; from Old French parleor ; from parler: see parley
Brit. sp. parlour