A plate of oysters on ice.
A bivalve mollusk that is taken from the ocean and served raw as part of a seafood buffet is an example of an oyster.
- any of various bivalve mollusks with an irregularly shaped, unequal shell, living attached to rocks, other shells, etc., and widely used as food
- the soft, edible part of such a mollusk
- the oyster-shaped bit of meat contained in a depression on each side of the pelvic bone of a fowl
- something from which profit or advantage can be extracted: the world is my oyster
- Informal a taciturn person
Origin of oysterOld French oistre ; from Classical Latin ostrea ; from Classical Greek ostreon, oyster; akin to osteon, a bone: see ossify
- a. Any of several edible bivalve mollusks of the family Ostreidae, having a rough, irregularly shaped shell attached to the substrate in shallow marine waters. Oysters are widely cultivated for food.b. Any of various similar or related bivalve mollusks, such as the pearl oyster.
- An edible bit of muscle found in the hollow of the pelvic bone of a fowl.
- a. A special delicacy.b. Something from which benefits may be extracted.
- Slang A close-mouthed person.
intransitive verboys·tered, oys·ter·ing, oys·ters
Origin of oysterMiddle English oistre, from Old French, from Latin ostreum, ostrea, from Greek ostreon; see ost- in Indo-European roots.
- Any marine bivalve mollusk of the Family Ostreidae, usually found adhering to rocks or other fixed objects in shallow water along the seacoasts, or in brackish water in the mouth of rivers.
- The delicate morsel of dark meat contained in a small cavity of the bone on each side of the lower part of the back of a fowl.
- A pale beige color tinted with grey or pink, like that of an oyster.
- (colloquial, by analogy) A person who keeps secrets and private information to him- or herself.
(comparative more oyster, superlative most oyster)
- Of a pale beige colour tinted with grey or pink, like that of an oyster.
(third-person singular simple present oysters, present participle oystering, simple past and past participle oystered)
- (intransitive) To fish for oysters.