- Outreach is defined as reaching out to others, or becoming involved in a community or effort.
When an organization reaches out to citizens in a community to help them find food and shelter, this is an example of outreach.
outreach definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb, intransitive verb
- to reach farther (than); exceed; surpass
- to reach out; extend
- the act of reaching out
- the extent of reach
- a program, as by a local church or business, for extending assistance, services, etc. to the community, esp. as an act of charity or goodwill
- activities or services undertaken by such a program
designating or of a program designed to provide outreach
outreach definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb out·reached, out·reach·ing, out·reach·es verb, transitive
- To surpass (another) in reach: She had to outreach her opponent to win the fencing match.
- To be more or greater than; exceed: Demand has outreached supply.
- To go too far.
- To reach out.
- The act or process of reaching out.
- Extent or length of reach: the vast outreach of technology; the outreach of a forest fire from mountains to suburbs.
- A systematic attempt to provide services beyond conventional limits, as to particular segments of a community: an educational outreach to illiterate adults.