- The period during which it is legal to hunt or catch certain game or fish.
- Informal A time of unrestrained activity, often criticism or harassment: It's been open season on bankers since the credit crisis began.
(plural open seasons)
- (hunting, sometimes followed by on or for to designate the kind of animal hunted) A period of time during the calendar year when authorities within a jurisdiction permit the unrestricted hunting of one or more kinds of animal wildlife.
- (idiomatic, often followed by on or for) A situation in which someone is endangered, blamed, harassed, or opposed in a sustained manner by a number of others; a situation in which something is endangered or otherwise opposed.
- (idiomatic, often followed by on or for) A situation in which or period of time during which some activity or circumstance routinely occurs.