- The definition of an open house is an opportunity where a home, school or other normally restricted area opens its doors and allows people to visit for a period of time.
When you are trying to sell your home and you schedule a time between 1 and 4 PM on a Sunday for people to come and walk through the house, this is an example of an open house.
A realtor waits at the door of an open house.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- an informal reception at one's home, with visitors freely coming and going
- an occasion when a school, institution, etc. is open to visitors for inspection and observation of activities
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A social event in which hospitality is extended to all.
- An occasion when a school or institution is open for visiting and observation by the public.
- a. A period of time during which a house or apartment for sale or rent is held open for public viewing.b. A house or apartment open for such viewing.