- designating a furnace with a wide, saucer-shaped hearth and a low roof, used in making steel
- using a furnace of this kind: the open-hearth process
- Relating to or being a reverberatory furnace used in the production of high-quality steel.
- Of or relating to the use of an open fireplace, especially for cooking.
In an open-hearth furnace, pig iron is melted to produce steel.
A. fuel and air enter
B. molten pig iron
C. exhaust gases exit
- Describing a reverberatory furnace used to make high-quality steel
- Designating the steel so produced