Griffith Park Observatory in Los Angeles.
- a building equipped for scientific observation, esp. such a building with a large telescope for astronomical research
- an institution for such research
- any building or place providing an extensive view of the surrounding terrain
Origin of observatoryModern Latin observatorium ; from past participle of Classical Latin observare: see observe
- A building, place, or institution designed and equipped for making observations of astronomical, meteorological, or other natural phenomena.
- A structure overlooking an extensive view.
Origin of observatoryFrench observatoire (influenced by conservatory), from observer, to observe, from Old French; see observe.
- A place where stars, planets and other celestial bodies are observed, usually through a telescope.