- The definition of an observer is a person watching something, or a member of an aircraft crew or the armed forces who watches and reports.
An example of an observer is a student taking notes on how teachers run their classes.
A group of observers at a seminar.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a person who observes something; specif.,
- a soldier manning an observation post
- a person who attends an assembly, convention, etc., not as an official delegate but only to observe and report the proceedings
- an official, usually a member of a group, sent by a UN committee to collect and report facts on the situation in a special area
- a member of an aircraft crew, other than a pilot, with certain specialized duties and a special rating ()
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One that observes: an observer of local customs; observers of religious holidays.
- A delegate sent to observe and report on the proceedings of an assembly or a meeting but not vote or otherwise participate.
- a. A crew member on a military aircraft who makes observations.b. A member of an armed force who watches and reports from an observation post.