- the place where the northern rotational axis intersects the surface of a planet, moon, etc.
- the zenith of such a place; esp., the zenith (north celestial pole) of this place on earth
- that end of a straight magnet that points to the north when the magnet hangs free
- [N- P-] the place on earth where its northern rotational axis intersects its surfacein full North Terrestrial Pole
The North Pole on a globe
The North Pole is the northernmost point of the Earth's axis, or the location where Santa Clause lives according to children's stories.
The point in the Arctic Ocean at 90° north latitude is an example of the North Pole.
- a. The northern end of the earth's axis of rotation, a point in the Arctic Ocean.b. The celestial zenith of this terrestrial point.c. north pole The northern end of the axis of rotation of a planet or other celestial body.
- north pole The north-seeking magnetic pole of a straight magnet.
(plural north poles)
- attributive form of north pole, noun.
- north-pole Martians