nipple definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the small protuberance on a breast or udder through which, in the female, the milk passes in suckling the young; teat
- an artificial teatlike part, as of rubber, in the cap of a baby's nursing bottle
- any projection, part, or thing resembling the nipple of a breast in shape or function; specif.,
- a short piece of pipe with both ends threaded
- a projection with a small opening through which a liquid or grease can be forced
Origin: earlier neble, probably diminutive of neb
nipple definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. The small projection near the center of the mammary gland containing the outlets of the milk ducts through which young mammals obtain milk from the adult female; a teat.b. A corresponding projection of the male breast.
- a. The rubber cap on a bottle from which a baby nurses.b. A pacifier for an infant.
- Any of various devices functioning like or resembling a nipple, especially:a. A regulated opening for discharging a liquid, as in a small stopcock.b. A pipe coupling threaded on both ends.c. A short extension of pipe to which a nozzle can be attached.d. A small projection through which grease in a grease gun can be forced into a bearing.
- A natural or geographic projection resembling a nipple, as a mountain crest.
Origin: From obsolete neble, diminutive of neb.
nipple - Medical Definition
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The projection at the apex of the mammary gland, on the surface of which the lactiferous ducts open, surrounded by the circular pigmented areola. Also called mamilla, papilla mammae, teat, thelium.
nipple - Science Definition
A small projection near the center of the mammary gland. In females, the nipple contains the outlets of the milk ducts.