- the small protuberance on a breast or udder through which, in the female, the milk passes in suckling the young; teat
- an artificial teatlike part, as of rubber, in the cap of a baby's nursing bottle
- any projection, part, or thing resembling the nipple of a breast in shape or function; specif.,
- a short piece of pipe with both ends threaded
- a projection with a small opening through which a liquid or grease can be forced
Origin: earlier neble, prob. dim. of neb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The small projection near the center of the mammary gland containing the outlets of the milk ducts through which young mammals obtain milk from the adult female; a teat.b. A corresponding projection of the male breast.
- a. The rubber cap on a bottle from which a baby nurses.b. A pacifier for an infant.
- Any of various devices functioning like or resembling a nipple, especially:a. A regulated opening for discharging a liquid, as in a small stopcock.b. A pipe coupling threaded on both ends.c. A short extension of pipe to which a nozzle can be attached.d. A small projection through which grease in a grease gun can be forced into a bearing.
- A natural or geographic projection resembling a nipple, as a mountain crest.
Origin: From obsolete neble, diminutive of neb.
nipple - Medical Definition
nipple - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.