- The definition of a newton is a unit of force in the International System of Units, or a man's name, or the name of an English mathematician, Sir Isaac Newton.
- An example of a newton is a unit used in the law of motion.
- An example of Newton is the man who first described gravity, Sir Isaac Newton.
An engraving of Sir Isaac Newton.
newton definition by Webster's New World
Origin: after Sir Isaac Newton
Origin: after surname Newton ; from common Eng place name Newton ; from Old English neowa tun, new town
- Newtonian adjective, noun
Origin: after New Towne, origin, originally name of Cambridge, Mass.
newton definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun Abbr. N
Origin: After Sir Isaac Newton.
, Sir Isaac 1642-1727.
- New·toˈni·an adjective
newton - Computer Definition
The unit of force that will impart an acceleration of one meter per second to a mass of one kilogram.The newton is named for Sir Isaac Newton (1642
(1) (newton) A unit of force in the MKS system. It is the force required to accelerate one kilogram by one meter per second squared.
(2) A set of mobile computing technologies from Apple introduced in 1993 with its MessagePad personal digital assistant (PDA). The ARM-based MessagePad included handwriting recognition, an infrared port for local data transfer and a fax/modem for e-mail and faxes. Although the MessagePad was the name of the device, it was commonly called the "Newton." The handwriting technology was often criticized for not being up to par; however, proponents of the device claimed it worked well if the user had the patience to train it properly. The Newton eMate In 1997, Apple offered the educational market a Newton-derived portable computer called the "eMate 300." Also using an ARM processor, the eMate had a full-size keyboard that was housed in a case similar in design to the iBook laptop, which was introduced two years later. A Five-Year Reign In 1998, Apple stopped production of Newton products due to competition from Palm PDAs, which were becoming popular. Apple folded the Newton, Inc. subsidiary back into the company after having spun it off a year earlier to specialize in the PDA niche. Some of the components of the Newton handwriting technology made their way into the Mac OS X operating system a few years later. See PDA and ARM chips.
newton - Medical Definition
noun Abbr. N
newton - Science Definition