- An example of mutable is eye color changed by contact lenses.
- An example of mutable is weather.
The definition of mutable is a person or thing that changes or can be changed, or changes often.
- that can be changed
- tending toward frequent change; inconstant; fickle
- subject to mutation
Origin of mutableMiddle English from Classical Latin mutabilis, changeable from mutare, to change: see miss
- a. Capable of or subject to change or alteration.b. Prone to frequent change; inconstant: mutable weather patterns.
- Tending to undergo genetic mutation: a mutable organism; a mutable gene.
Origin of mutableMiddle English from Latin mūtābilis from mūtāre to change ; see mutate .
(comparative more mutable, superlative most mutable)