- The definition of mutable is a person or thing that changes or can be changed, or changes often.
- An example of mutable is eye color changed by contact lenses.
- An example of mutable is weather.
- that can be changed
- tending to frequent change; inconstant; fickle
- subject to mutation
Origin: Middle English from Classical Latin mutabilis, changeable from mutare, to change: see miss
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Capable of or subject to change or alteration.b. Prone to frequent change; inconstant: mutable weather patterns.
- Tending to undergo genetic mutation: a mutable organism; a mutable gene.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin mūtābilis, from mūtāre, to change; see mutate.
- muˌta·bilˈi·ty noun
- muˈta·bly adverb