- to fail to hit or land on (something aimed at)
- to fail to meet, reach, attain, catch, accomplish, see, hear, perceive, understand, etc.
- to overlook; let (an opportunity, etc.) go by
- to escape; avoid: he just missed being struck
- to fail or forget to do, keep, have, be present at, etc.: to miss an appointment
- to notice the absence or loss of: to suddenly miss one's wallet
- to feel or regret the absence or loss of; want: to miss one's friends
- to be without; lack: now used only in present participle: this book is missing a page
ME missen < OE missan, akin to Ger missen < IE base *meit(h)-, to change, exchange > L mutare, to change
a failure to hit, meet, obtain, see, etc.