- The definition of metric is relating to the system of measurements which is based on the meter and the gram.
An example of a metric measurement is a meter.
Origin of metricFrench métrique
- of the meter (unit of linear measure)
- designating or of the system of measurement based on the meter and the gram
Origin of metricFrench métrique, from mètre, meter; see meter2.
- A standard of measurement, especially one that evaluates a complex process or system.
- Mathematics A geometric function that describes the distances between pairs of points in a space.
Origin of metricFrom Latin metricus, relating to measurement; see metrical.
Origin of metricGreek (hē) metrikē (tekhnē), (the art) of meter, feminine of metrikos, relating to measurement; see metrical.
Origin of -metricLatin metricus; see metrical.
- A measure for something; a means of deriving a quantitative measurement or approximation for otherwise qualitative phenomena (especially used in Software Engineering)
- (mathematics) A measurement of the "distance" between two points in some metric space: it is a real-valued function d(x,y) between points x and y satisfying the following properties: (1) "positive definiteness": and , (2) "symmetry": , and (3) "triangle inequality": .
- Abbreviation of metric system.
(third-person singular simple present not used, present participle metricking, simple past and past participle metricked)
- (aerospace, systems engineering) To measure or analyse statistical data concerning the quality or effectiveness of a process.
- we need to metric the status of software documentation
- we need to metric the verification of requirements
- we need to metric the system failures
- the project manager is metricking the closure of the action items
- customer satisfaction was metricked by the marketing department
metric - Computer Definition
Measurement. Although metric generally refers to a system of weights and measures, software engineers often use the term as simply "measurement." For example, "is there a metric for this process?" See software metrics.