- The definition of metric is relating to the system of measurements which is based on the meter and the gram.
An example of a metric measurement is a meter.
metric definition by Webster's New World
Origin: French métrique
- of the meter (unit of linear measure)
- designating or of the system of measurement based on the meter and the gram
metric definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: French métrique, from mètre, meter; see meter2.
- A standard of measurement.
- Mathematics A geometric function that describes the distances between pairs of points in a space.
Origin: From Latin metricus, relating to measurement; see metrical.
Origin: Greek (hē) metrikē (tekhnē), (the art) of meter, feminine of metrikos, relating to measurement; see metrical.
Origin: Latin metricus; see metrical.
metric - Computer Definition
Measurement. Although metric generally refers to a system of weights and measures, software engineers often use the term as simply "measurement." For example, "is there a metric for this process?" See software metrics.
metric - Medical Definition
metric conversion chart
metric - Science Definition