- A soap opera is an example of a melodrama.
- A person who is constantly breaking up and getting back together with her boyfriend in emotional scenes is an example of someone who enjoys melodrama.
- Historical a sensational or romantic stage play with interspersed songs and an orchestral accompaniment
- a drama, as a play or film, characterized by exaggerated conflicts and emotions, stereotyped characters, etc.
- such dramas collectively
- any sensational, extravagantly emotional situation, behavior, etc.
Origin of melodramaaltered (by associated, association with drama) ; from French mélodrame ; from Classical Greek melos, a song + French drame ; from LL: see drama
- a. A drama, such as a play, film, or television program, characterized by exaggerated emotions, stereotypical characters, and interpersonal conflicts.b. The dramatic genre characterized by this treatment.
- Behavior or occurrences having melodramatic characteristics.
Origin of melodramaAlteration of melodrame, from French mélodrame, spoken drama that includes some musical accompaniment, melodrama : Greek melos, song + French drame, drama (from Late Latin drāma; see drama).
(countable and uncountable, plural melodramas or melodramata)
- (archaic, uncountable) A kind of drama having a musical accompaniment to intensify the effect of certain scenes.
- (countable) A drama abounding in romantic sentiment and agonizing situations, with a musical accompaniment only in parts which are especially thrilling or pathetic. In opera, a passage in which the orchestra plays a somewhat descriptive accompaniment, while the actor speaks; as, the melodrama in the grave digging scene of Beethoven's "Fidelio".
- (uncountable, figuratively, colloquial) Any situation or action which is blown out of proportion.
From French mÃ©lodrame, the second element refashioned by analogy with drama; ultimately from Ancient Greek Î¼ÎÎ»Î¿Ï‚ (melos, “limb", “member", “song", “tune", “melody") + Î´Ïá¾¶Î¼Î± (drÄma, “deed", “theatrical act"). Compare melodrame. Cognate to German Melodram and Spanish melodrama.