- a play having all or most of its text set to music, with arias, recitatives, choruses, duets, trios, etc. sung to orchestral accompaniment, usually characterized by elaborate costuming, scenery, and choreography
- the branch of art represented by such plays
- the score, libretto, or performance of such a play
- a theater in which operas are given
Origin of operaItalian ; from L, a work, labor, akin to opus: see opus
- A theatrical presentation in which a dramatic performance is set to music.
- The score of such a work.
- A theater designed primarily for operas.
Origin of operaItalian, work, opera, from Latin, work, service; see op- in Indo-European roots.
(plural operas or opere)
- (music) A theatrical work combining drama, music, song and sometimes dance.
- (music) The score for such a work.
- A building designed for the performance of such works; an opera house.
- A company dedicated to performing such works.
- (by extension) Any showy, melodramatic or unrealistic production resembing an opera.
- A collection of work (plural of opus).
From Italian opera.
opera - Computer Definition
(1) (OPERA) (Open PLC European Research Alliance) An earlier European consortium dedicated to expanding power line communications (PLC). See broadband over power lines.
(2) (Opera) A Web browser for Windows, Mac, Linux and mobiles from Opera Software, Oslo, Norway (www.opera.com). Developed at Telenor (Norwegian Telecom) in 1994 and commercialized by Opera in 1995, it is noted for its fast rendering of Web pages. Opera was the first browser to offer a host of unique features such as enlarging text and graphic elements on the page and displaying multiple windows with only one instance of the program running. In 2005, the paid version was made free. Opera Android-Desktop Synchronization The regular Opera browser is available for Android and synchronizes bookmarks from Opera's desktop computer versions. If the network slows down, users can switch to Off-Road mode, which compresses data to speed up downloading. Opera Mini for iOS, Android and Windows Phone Opera Mini compresses browser downloads in its servers to lower data transfer usage on the user's data plan. Opera Max for Android Like Opera Mini, Opera Max compresses browser downloads but also downloads from many other apps. Opera Coast for iOS Opera Coast also includes stories, news and articles that may interest the user.