- The definition of a manicure is a cosmetic treatment where your hands are pampered and your nails are cut, groomed and may be polished.
When you go to the salon and your hands are soaked in a paraffin bath, then massaged before your nails are clipped and polished, this is an example of a manicure.
- To manicure is defined as to trim gardens or lawns neatly or professionally, or to perform a treatment where you pamper someone's hands and cut and polish his or her nails.
- When a gardener comes and neatly trims the lawn, this is an example of a time when the gardener manicures the lawn.
- When you cut someone's nails and polish them, this is an example of a time when you manicure.
A woman receiving a manicure.
manicure definition by Webster's New World
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin manus, a hand plush cura, care: see cure
manicure definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- To trim, clean, and polish (the fingernails).
- To clip or trim evenly and closely: manicure a hedge.
Origin: French : Latin manus, hand; see man-2 in Indo-European roots + Latin cūra, care; see cure.