- The definition of a love affair occurs when two people become romantically and often sexually involved, and when the two people adore and are infatuated with each other.
An example of a love affair is when a boy and girl meet and begin to desire each other, spending a lot of time together and engaging in romantic and sexual behavior.
love affair definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an amorous or romantic relationship or episode between two people not married to each other
- an intense or eager interest in something
love affair definition by American Heritage Dictionary
nounThe American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- An intimate sexual relationship or episode between lovers.
- A strong enthusiasm: America's love affair with the automobile.
love affair - Phrases/Idioms
An intimate sexual relationship, as in They had a torrid love affair many years ago. This expression dates from about 1600, when it referred merely to the experiences connected with being in love. The current sense dates from the second half of the 1800s.
A strong enthusiasm, as in We can't ignore America's love affair with the automobile. [Mid-1900s]