- The definition of loin is the part of the body between the ribs and hips, or the front part of the hindquarters of animals.
An example of a loin is a person's hips and lower abdomen.
loin definition by Webster's New World
- the lower part of the back on either side of the backbone between the hipbones and the ribs
- the front part of the hindquarters of beef, lamb, mutton, veal, etc. with the flank removed
- the hips and the lower abdomen regarded as a part of the body to be clothed or as the region of strength and procreative power
Origin: Middle English loine ; from Old French loigne ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form lumbea ; from Classical Latin lumbus: see lumbar
loin definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The part of the body of a human or quadruped on either side of the backbone and between the ribs and hips.
- One of several cuts of meat, such as tenderloin, taken from this part of an animal's body, typically including the vertebrae of the segment from which it is taken.
- loinsa. The region of the hips, groin, and lower abdomen.b. The reproductive organs.
Origin: Middle English loine, from Old French loigne, from Vulgar Latin *lumbea (carō), loin (meat), feminine of *lumbeus, of the loin, from Latin lumbus, loin.
loin - Medical Definition
loin - Phrases/Idioms
gird (up) one's loins