A dancer in the limelight.
An author whose book has just become an international best-seller and who is written about in the news all the time is an example of someone who is in the limelight.
- a brilliant light created by the incandescence of lime (calcium oxide), formerly used in theaters to throw an intense beam of light upon a particular part of the stage, a certain actor, etc.
- the part of a stage where a limelight or spotlight is cast
- a prominent or conspicuous position before the public
Origin of limelight; from lime ()
- A focus of public attention.
- a. An early type of stage light in which lime was heated to incandescence producing brilliant illumination.b. The brilliant white light so produced. Also called calcium light.
(countable and uncountable, plural limelights)