- an irradiating or being irradiated; esp.,
- exposure to radiation
- emission of radiant energy
- irradiance (sense )
- Optics the apparent enlargement of a brightly lighted object seen against a dark background
Origin of irradiationFrench ; from Medieval Latin irradiatio
- The act of exposing or the condition of being exposed to radiation.
- The use or application of ionizing radiation, especially in medical treatment and for the sterilization or preservation of food.
(countable and uncountable, plural irradiations)
- An act of irradiating, or state of being irradiated.
- (uncountable) a process of sterilisation whereby radiation is passed through a bag containing food, utensils, etc., to sterilise the contents.