irradiation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an irradiating or being irradiated; esp.,
- exposure to radiation
- emission of radiant energy
- irradiance (sense )
- Optics the apparent enlargement of a brightly lighted object seen against a dark background
Origin: French ; from Midieval Latin irradiatio
irradiation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act of exposing or the condition of being exposed to radiation.
- The use or application of ionizing radiation, especially in medical treatment and for the sterilization or preservation of food.
irradiation - Medical Definition
- Exposure or subjection to the action of radiation for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes.
- Medical treatment by exposure to radiation.
- The spread of a nervous impulse beyond the usual path of conduction.