A group of medical interns.
- The definition of an intern is a student or recent graduate going through a supervised training in their chosen profession or a new physician training at a hospital.
- An example of an intern is a student teacher.
- An example of an intern is an doctor who has just graduated from medical school.
- To intern is defined as to detain and keep someone or something from moving.
An example of to intern is to stop a foreign person from returning to their home country.
- a doctor serving an apprenticeship as an assistant resident in a hospital generally just after graduation from medical school
- a person, esp. a student, participating in a program of temporary, supervised work in a particular field in order to gain practical experience
Origin of internFrench interne, resident within from Classical Latin internus, inward: see internal
- a. A student or a recent graduate undergoing supervised practical training.b. A physician who has recently graduated from medical school and is learning medical practice in a hospital under supervision, prior to beginning a residency program.
- One who is interned; an internee.
verbin·terned, in·tern·ing, in·terns
Origin of internFrench interne from Latin internus internal ; see internal .
- A person who is interned, forceably or voluntarily.
(third-person singular simple present interns, present participle interning, simple past and past participle interned)
- To imprison somebody, usually without trial.
- The US government interned thousands of Japanese-Americans during World War II.
- (of a state, especially a neutral state) To confine or hold (foreign military personnel who stray into the state's territory) within prescribed limits during wartime.
- The Swiss government interned the Italian soldiers who had strayed onto Swiss territory.
- (computing) To internalize.
- (intransitive) To work as an intern. Usually with little or no pay or other legal prerogatives of employment, for the purpose of furthering a program of education.
- I'll be interning at Universal Studios this summer.
(comparative more intern, superlative most intern)
- (archaic) Internal.