- The definition of an intern is a student or recent graduate going through a supervised training in their chosen profession or a new physician training at a hospital.
- An example of an intern is a student teacher.
- An example of an intern is an doctor who has just graduated from medical school.
- To intern is defined as to detain and keep someone or something from moving.
An example of to intern is to stop a foreign person from returning to their home country.
A group of medical interns.
intern definition by Webster's New World
- a doctor serving an apprenticeship as an assistant resident in a hospital generally just after graduation from medical school
- a person, esp. a student, participating in a program of temporary, supervised work in a particular field in order to gain practical experience
Origin: French interne, resident within ; from Classical Latin internus, inward: see internal
intern definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A student or a recent graduate undergoing supervised practical training.b. A physician who has recently graduated from medical school and is learning medical practice in a hospital under supervision, prior to beginning a residency program.
- One who is interned; an internee.
Origin: French interne, from Latin internus, internal; see internal.
- inˈtern·shipˌ noun
intern - Medical Definition
- internship noun