- to contaminate with a disease-producing organism or matter
- to cause to become diseased by bringing into contact with such an organism or matter
- to invade (an individual, organ, tissue, etc.): said of a pathogenic organism
- to affect or imbue with feelings, beliefs, etc. that are regarded as negative or harmful
- Comput. to invade for the purpose of disrupting the functioning of: said of a virus, worm, etc.
Origin of infectMiddle English infecten from Middle French infecter from Classical Latin infectus, past participle of inficere, to put or dip into, tinge, stain from in-, in + facere, to do