The definition of indelible is something that cannot be erased or eliminated.adjective
- An example of indelible is ink that cannot be washed out of a shirt.
- An example of indelible is the first impression made by the person who later becomes your spouse.
- that cannot be erased, blotted out, eliminated, etc.; permanent; lasting
- leaving an indelible mark: indelible ink
Origin: L indelibilis < in-, not + delibilis, perishable < delere, to destroy: see delete
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Impossible to remove, erase, or wash away; permanent: indelible ink.
- Making a mark not easily erased or washed away: an indelible pen for labeling clothing.
- Unable to be forgotten; memorable: an indelible memory.
Origin: Alteration of earlier indeleble, from Latin indēlēbilis : in-, not; see in-1 + dēlēbilis, capable of being effaced (from dēlēre, to wipe out).
- in·delˌi·bilˈi·ty, in·delˈi·ble·ness noun
- in·delˈi·bly adverb