- The definition of a horde is a large, moving group of people.
The huge crowd leaving the Super Bowl is an example of a horde of people.
- a nomadic tribe or clan of Mongols
- any wandering tribe or group
- a large, moving crowd or throng; swarm
Origin: Fr from Ger, earlier horda from Polish from Turkish ordū, a camp from Tatar urdu, a camp, literally , something erected from urmak, to pitch (a camp)
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A large group or crowd; a swarm: a horde of mosquitoes. See Synonyms at crowd1.
- a. A nomadic Mongol tribe.b. A nomadic tribe or group.
Origin: Ultimately (via Polish horda) from North-Western Turkic ordï, residence, court, from Old Turkic ordu.