hopper definition by Webster's New World
- a person or thing that hops
- any hopping insect, esp. a grasshopper
Origin: so called from making material “hop”a box, tank, rail car, etc., often funnel-shaped, from which the contents can be emptied slowly and evenly: the hopper of an automatic coal stoker
- ☆ a freight car with a bottom that opens to unload freightin full hopper car
- a box into which legislative bills are dropped for introduction, assignment to committees, etc.: often used figuratively
Origin: Middle English hoppere
hopper definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that hops.
- a. A usually funnel-shaped container in which materials, such as grain or coal, are stored in readiness for dispensation.b. A freight car with a door in the floor through which materials are unloaded.c. A box in which a bill is placed pending formal introduction before a legislature.d. Informal A place in which something is held in readiness: a studio with many potential blockbusters in the hopper.
Origin: Sense 2, from the shaking or hopping motion of grain hoppers as grain passed through them to the mill.
, Edward 1882-1967.
, Grace Murray 1906-1992.
hopper - Computer Definition
A tray, or chute, that accepts input to a mechanical device, such as a disk duplicator or printer. In the days of punch cards, millions of cards were numerically or alphabetically organized by placing them into the hopper of a card sorter, taking them out of all the stackers and putting them back into the hopper for the next card column.