- any of various families (esp. Acrididae) of leaping, plant-eating orthopteran insects with powerful hind legs adapted for jumping
- a cocktail made of green crème de menthe, cream, and, usually colorless crème de cacao
- Mil. Slang a small, light airplane for scouting, liaison, and observation
Origin of grasshopperMiddle English grashoppere, extended with -er suffix (see -er) from greshoppe from Old English gærshoppe from gærs (see grass) + base of hoppian (see hop)
- Any of numerous orthopteran insects, chiefly of the suborder Caelifera, characteristically having long, powerful hind legs adapted for jumping.
- A light, usually unarmed airplane used for liaison and scouting.
- A cocktail consisting of crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and cream.
- (zoology) A herbivorous insect of the order Orthoptera noted for its ability to jump long distances.
- A cocktail made with crème de menthe and optionally with creme de cacao.
- (figuratively) a young student in initial stages of training who has been chosen on account of their obvious talent
- In ordinary square or upright pianos of London make, the escapement lever or jack, so made that it can be taken out and replaced with the key.