- Heartbeat is defined as the pulse of your heart, or a single short moment, or something that acts as a unifying force.
- When your heart pulses and pumps blood throughout your body, this is an example of a heartbeat.
- When you feel as if the entire summer passed you by in just a single second, this is an example of a time when you might say it went by in a heartbeat.
- When the president of a club is the one that keeps the entire club together and functioning, this is an example of a time when the president is the heartbeat.
- one pulsation, or full contraction and dilation, of the heart
- the continuous series of such pulsations constituting the rhythmic beating of the heart: an irregular heartbeat
- a very brief period of time; moment; instant: reappeared in a heartbeat
- the vital core or motivating force
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A single complete pulsation of the heart.
- A vital force or driving impulse: Broadway is the heartbeat of the New York City theater world.
- An instant: The police arrived at the scene in a heartbeat.
heartbeat - Computer Definition
(1) A periodic signal generated by hardware for activation and/or synchronization purposes. See MHz.
(2) A periodic signal generated by hardware or software to indicate that it is still running.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
heartbeat - Medical Definition