- Heartbeat is defined as the pulse of your heart, or a single short moment, or something that acts as a unifying force.
- When your heart pulses and pumps blood throughout your body, this is an example of a heartbeat.
- When you feel as if the entire summer passed you by in just a single second, this is an example of a time when you might say it went by in a heartbeat.
- When the president of a club is the one that keeps the entire club together and functioning, this is an example of a time when the president is the heartbeat.
heartbeat definition by Webster's New World
- one pulsation, or full contraction and dilation, of the heart
- the continuous series of such pulsations constituting the rhythmic beating of the heart: an irregular heartbeat
- a very brief period of time; moment; instant: reappeared in a heartbeat
- the vital core or motivating force
heartbeat definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A single complete pulsation of the heart.
- A vital force or driving impulse: Broadway is the heartbeat of the New York City theater world.
- An instant: The police arrived at the scene in a heartbeat.
heartbeat - Computer Definition
(1) A periodic signal generated by hardware for activation and/or synchronization purposes. See MHz.
(2) A periodic signal generated by hardware or software to indicate that it is still running.
heartbeat - Medical Definition