- a compact reference book on some subject; manual of facts or instructions
- guidebook (sense )
- ⌂ a book in which bets are recorded, as on horse races
Origin of handbookOld English handboc, translated, translation of Classical Latin manuale (see manual): modern senses influenced, influence by German handbuch
- A concise manual or reference book providing specific information or instruction about a subject or place.
- Games a. A book in which off-track bets are recorded.b. A place where off-track bets are taken.
- A topically organized book of reference on a certain field of knowledge, disregarding the size of it.