- a soldier, sailor, etc. who fires or helps fire an artillery piece
- a naval warrant officer whose specialty is guns, missiles, torpedoes, etc. and related equipment
- a hunter who uses a gun
Origin of gunnerMiddle English gonner ; from gonne, gun
- A member of the armed forces who operates a gun.
- A warrant officer in the US Marine Corps having charge of ordnance.
- Chiefly British An artillery soldier, especially a private.
- One who hunts with a gun.
- (military) Artillery soldier, or such who holds private rank. Abbreviated Gnr.
- A person who operates a gun.
- (figuratively) An excessive go-getter; one exhibiting over-ambition.
- (American football) A player on the kicking side whose primary job is to tackle the kickoff returner or punt returner.
- (UK, slang, soccer) A fan of the Arsenal Football Club.
- The great northern diver or loon.
- (UK, Ireland, dialect) The sea bream.
Middle English gun + -er