- a scroll-like ornament or tablet, esp. as an architectural feature
- on Egyptian monuments, an oval or oblong figure containing the hieroglyphs of the name of a ruler or deity
- Obs. a paper cartridge for a firearm
Origin of cartoucheFrench from Italian cartoccio, cartridge, roll of paper from carta, paper: see card
- A structure or figure, often in the shape of an oval shield or oblong scroll, used as an architectural or graphic ornament or to bear a design or inscription.
- An oval or oblong figure in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics that encloses characters expressing the names or epithets of royal or divine personages.
- A heavy paper cartridge case.
Origin of cartoucheFrench from Italian cartoccio paper cornet from carta card, paper ; see carton .
- (architecture) An ornamental figure, often on an oval shield.
- (Egyptian hieroglyphics) an oval figure containing characters that represent the names of royal or divine people.
- A paper cartridge.
- A wooden case filled with balls, to be shot from a cannon.
- A gunner's bag for ammunition.
- A military pass for a soldier on furlough.