The definition of a gourd is a fleshy fruit with a hard outer skin, also used to create decorative ornaments, or to create drinking containers out of their shells.noun
A fruit with a hard outer shell that is sometimes displayed around fall is an example of a gourd.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
Origin: ME gourde < OFr gouorde < L cucurbita
- any trailing or climbing plant belonging to the gourd family
- any of the ornamental, inedible fruits of these or related plants, esp. of a yellow-flowered variety (Cucurbita pepo ovifera) of the pumpkin
- ☆ the dried, hollowed-out shell of such a fruit, used as a drinking cup, dipper, etc.
- Slang the head: usually in the phrase , crazy, foolish, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Any of several trailing or climbing plants related to the pumpkin, squash, and cucumber and bearing fruits with a hard rind.
- a. The fruit of such a plant, often of irregular and unusual shape.b. The dried and hollowed-out shell of one of these fruits, often used as a drinking utensil.
Origin: Middle English gourde, from Anglo-Norman, ultimately from Latin cucurbita.
gourd - Phrases/Idioms