noun pl. gentlewomen
- Obsolete a woman born into a family of high social standing; lady
- a courteous, gracious, considerate woman
- Historical a woman in attendance on a lady of rank
- ☆ a female member of the U.S. House of Representatives: usually a form of address: often in the phrase (a specified state)
ME gentil womman
See gentlewoman in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- A woman of gentle or noble birth or superior social position.
- A well-mannered and considerate woman with high standards of proper behavior.
- A woman acting as a personal attendant to a lady of rank.
- genˈtle·womˌan·ly adjective
Learn more about gentlewoman