- Obs. a woman born into a family of high social standing; lady
- a courteous, gracious woman
- Historical a woman in attendance on a lady of rank
- a female member of the U.S. House of Representatives: usually a form of address: often in the phrase the gentlewoman from (a specified state)
Origin of gentlewomanMiddle English gentil womman
- A woman of gentle or noble birth or superior social position.
- A well-mannered and considerate woman with high standards of proper behavior.
- A woman acting as a personal attendant to a lady of rank.
- (obsolete) A woman of the nobility.