- The definition of a gambol is a playful jump or skip.
An example of a gambol is a light-hearted hop up a step.
- Gambol is defined as to jump and skip about playfully.
An example of gambol is to lightly hop down the block.
Origin of gambolearlier gambolde from French gambade, a gambol: see gambado
intransitive verb-·boled or -·bolled, -·bol·ing or -·bol·ling
intransitive verbgam·boled, gam·bol·ing, gam·bols, or gam·bolled gam·bol·ling
Origin of gambolAlteration of French gambade horse's jump from Old French perhaps from Old Italian gambata from gamba leg from Late Latin hoof from Greek kampē bend (as in a limb)
- (intransitive) To move about playfully; to frolic.
- (UK, regional) to do a forward roll
- An instance of running or skipping about playfully.
- An instance of more general frisking or frolicking.
From earlier gambolde, from Middle French gambade