- The definition of a gambol is a playful jump or skip.
An example of a gambol is a light-hearted hop up a step.
- Gambol is defined as to jump and skip about playfully.
An example of gambol is to lightly hop down the block.
intransitive verbgam·boled, gam·bol·ing, gam·bols or gam·bolled or gam·bol·ling
Origin of gambolAlteration of French gambade, horse's jump, from Old French, perhaps from Old Italian gambata, from gamba, leg, from Late Latin, hoof, from Greek kampē, bend (as in a limb).
(third-person singular simple present gambols, present participle (UK) gambolling or (US) gamboling, simple past and past participle (UK) gambolled or (US) gamboled)
- (intransitive) To move about playfully; to frolic.
- (UK, regional) to do a forward roll
- An instance of running or skipping about playfully.
- An instance of more general frisking or frolicking.
From earlier gambolde, from Middle French gambade