A gallon of milk.
gallon definition by Webster's New World
- : abbrev. gal
- a unit of liquid measure, equal to 4 liquid quarts (3.7854 liquid liters): the British and Canadian imperial gallon equals 4.54596 liquid liters
- a unit of dry measure, equal to peck or 4 dry quarts (4.4048 dry liters or 0.1556 cubic foot)
- any container with a capacity of one gallon
Origin: Middle English galoun ; from Norman French galon ; from Old French jalon ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form gallone ; from stem of Late Latin galleta, a jug
gallon definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Abbr. gal.a. A unit of volume in the U.S. Customary System, used in liquid measure, equal to 4 quarts (3.785 liters).b. A unit of volume in the British Imperial System, used in liquid and dry measure, equal to 4 quarts (4.546 liters). See Table at measurement.
- A container with a capacity of one gallon.
Origin: Middle English, a liquid measure, from Old North French galon.
gallon - Medical Definition
noun Abbr. gal.
gallon - Science Definition