- : abbrev. gal
- a unit of liquid measure, equal to 4 liquid quarts (3.7854 liquid liters): the British and Canadian imperial gallon equals 4.54596 liquid liters
- a unit of dry measure, equal to peck or 4 dry quarts (4.4048 dry liters or 0.1556 cubic foot)
- any container with a capacity of one gallon
Origin: ME galoun < NormFr galon < OFr jalon < VL *gallone < stem of LL galleta, a jug
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Abbr. gal.a. A unit of volume in the U.S. Customary System, used in liquid measure, equal to 4 quarts (3.785 liters).b. A unit of volume in the British Imperial System, used in liquid and dry measure, equal to 4 quarts (4.546 liters). See Table at measurement.
- A container with a capacity of one gallon.
Origin: Middle English, a liquid measure, from Old North French galon.
gallon - Medical Definition
noun Abbr. gal.
gallon - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.