- Bible the first king of Israel: 1 Kings 11:26-14:20
- [usuallyj-]Winemaking a wine bottle, esp. one for champagne, holding about 3 liters, or about twice as much as a magnum
Origin of JeroboamClassical Hebrew (language) y?robh'?m, literally , probably , the people increases
- A wine bottle holding 3 liters (approximately 0.8 gallon) of sparkling wine.
- A wine bottle holding 4.5 liters (approximately 1.2 gallons) of still wine.
Origin of jeroboamSo called (in reference to the bottle's size and the drunkenness caused by wine) after Jeroboam I (died c. 901 BC), king of northern Israel described in the Bible as “a mighty man of valor” (I Kings 11:28) “who made Israel to sin” (14:16)
- First king of the Kingdom of Israel.