- The definition of frustrated is annoyed or ready to give up.
An example of a frustrated person is someone who has been working on the same math problem for an hour with no success.
- Frustrated is defined as to have prevented someone from accomplishing something or annoyed someone.
An example of to have frustrated someone is to have continuously bothered the person while she was doing her homework.
- simple past tense and past participle of frustrate
Variant of frustrate
transitive verbfrustrated, frustrating
- to cause to have no effect; bring to nothing; counteract; nullify: to frustrate plans
- to prevent from achieving an objective; foil; baffle; defeat: to frustrate an opponent
- Psychol. to prevent from gratifying certain impulses or desires, either conscious or unconscious
Origin of frustrateMiddle English frustraten ; from Classical Latin frustratus, past participle of frustrare, frustrari, to disappoint, deceive ; from frustra, in vain: for Indo-European base see fraud