- (idiomatic) From the beginning; starting with no advantage or prior preparation.
- There were so many errors in the program that the programmer decided to rewrite it from scratch.
- When the writer finished writing his book, it was stolen and now he has to rewrite it from scratch.
- He had no money and no rich friends, so he had to build his business from scratch.
- (idiomatic) From basic materials or raw ingredients.
- She said she wanted to build a new house from scratch.
- He was out of pancake mix so he had to make the batter from scratch.
- from the ground up
- scratch made