- preceded by three others in a series; 4th
- designating any of the four equal parts of something
- designating the forward gear ratio of a motor vehicle next after third gear
Origin: Middle English feorthe, ferthe ; from Old English feortha: see four and amp; -th
- the one following the third
- any of the four equal parts of something;
- the fourth tone of an ascending diatonic scale, or a tone three degrees above or below any given tone in such a scale; subdominant
- the interval between two such tones, or a combination of them
- fourthly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The ordinal number matching the number four in a series.
- One of four equal parts.
- Music a. A tone four degrees above or below a given tone in a diatonic scale.b. The interval between two such tones.c. The harmonic combination of these tones.d. The subdominant of a scale or key.
- The transmission gear or gear ratio used to produce forward speeds next higher to those of third in a motor vehicle.
- Fourth The Fourth of July; Independence Day. Used with the: went to a parade on the Fourth.
Origin: Middle English fourthe, from Old English fēortha; see kwetwer- in Indo-European roots.
- fourth adverb & adj.
fourth - Medical Definition
- Coming after third, as in order, place, rank, time, or quality.
- Being the digit that is next to and on the outermost side of the third digit, as on a foot.
- fourth noun