- Four is a number that comes after 3 and before 5.
A number that is reached by multiplying 2 by 2, is an example of four.
The number four.
four definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English feower, akin to German vier, Gothic fidwōr ; from Indo-European base an unverified form kwetwor- from source Classical Latin quattuor, Welsh pedwar
- the cardinal number between three and five; 4; IV
- any group of four people or things
- something numbered four or having four units, as a playing card, face of a die, etc.
four definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The cardinal number equal to 3 + 1.
- The fourth in a set or sequence.
- Something having four parts, units, or members, such as a musical quartet or a four-cylinder engine.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English fēower; see kwetwer- in Indo-European roots.
- four adjective & pron.
four - Phrases/Idioms
on all fours
- on all four feet
- on hands and knees (or feet)
- exactly equatable (with)