- The definition of quadruple is something made up of four, or four times as many.
An example of quadruple is an ice skater turn that includes spinning around four times.
- The definition of a quadruple is an amount four times as many.
An example of a quadruple is a cocktail with four shots of alcohol.
- consisting of or including four
- four times as much or as many; fourfold
- Music containing four beats to the measure: quadruple time
Origin of quadrupleMiddle French from Classical Latin quadruplus from quadru- (see quadruped) + -plus, as in duplus: see double
intransitive verb-·pled, -·pling
- Consisting of four parts or members.
- Four times as much in size, strength, number, or amount.
- Music Having four beats to the measure.
tr. & intr.v.quad·ru·pled, quad·ru·pling, quad·ru·ples
Origin of quadrupleFrom Middle English quadriple fourfold amount and quadruple tooth with four roots both from Old French quadruple from Latin quadruplum from neuter of quadruplus fourfold quadru-, quadri- quadri- -plus -fold ; see pel-2 in Indo-European roots.
- Being four times as long, as big or as many of something.
- He's quite an athlete and can do quadruple jumps with ease.
(third-person singular simple present quadruples, present participle quadrupling, simple past and past participle quadrupled)
- To multiply by four.
- Quadrupling four gives sixteen.
- (intransitive) To increase by a factor of four.
- Our profits quadrupled when we made the improvements.