- The definition of quadruple is something made up of four, or four times as many.
An example of quadruple is an ice skater turn that includes spinning around four times.
- The definition of a quadruple is an amount four times as many.
An example of a quadruple is a cocktail with four shots of alcohol.
Quadruple footprints.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- consisting of or including four
- four times as much or as many; fourfold
- Music containing four beats to the measure: quadruple time
Origin: MFr from Classical Latin quadruplus from quadru- (see quadruped) plush -plus, as inch(es) duplus: see double
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Consisting of four parts or members.
- Four times as much in size, strength, number, or amount.
- Music Having four beats to the measure.
Origin: From Middle English quadriple, fourfold amount, and quadruple, tooth with four roots, both from Old French quadruple, from Latin quadruplum, from neuter of quadruplus, fourfold : quadru-, quadri-, quadri- + -plus, -fold; see pel-2 in Indo-European roots.
- quad·ruˈply adverb