- the catching of fish for sport or for a living
- a place to fish
A man fishing.
- Certain fishing practices, like bottom trawling, dynamite and cyanide fishing damage the surrounding habitat and create environmental issues.
- Overfishing, including bycatch (catching other kinds of fish and sea animals), is also reducing the number of fish and leading to the extinction of some species, which contributes to the breaking down of ocean ecosystems.
- Some estimates of the depletion of the fish species around the world are as high as 70%. For example, Japanese whaling expeditions are depleating the whale population.
Fishing is defined as catching fish for sport, food or to sell.
Environmental Issues with Fishing
An example of fishing is a group of friends going out on a boat to catch fish for dinner that night.
- The act, occupation, or sport of catching fish.
- A place for catching fish.
- Of, or pertaining to, fishing.
(countable and uncountable, plural fishings)
- Present participle of fish.
fishing - Computer Definition
- It was like fishing in a bath tub and hoping for a bite.
- Sea-fishing is almost wholly neglected.
- Fishing is relaxing and my boat's paid for...
- I left a message, from Tommy, his so called fishing buddy, saying I had a fish story for him and requesting him to call as soon as possible.
- More than a hundred years ago, two boys were fishing in a small river.