- A man who lives or works on the water; a boatman.
- Someone who distributes or supplies water for a living; a water-carrier.
- (dated) Specifically, an attendant on cab stands who supplies water to the horses.
- (surfing) A man skilled in multiple aquatic sports disciplines, such as surfing, bodysurfing, undersea diving, canoe paddling, fishing, etc.
- Describing someone as a waterman is the highest honour in the surfing community, reserved for those with long-standing and indisputably significant all-round achievements.