- a person who tends a fire in a furnace or boiler
- U.S. Navy an enlisted person ranking below a petty officer third class, whose general duties are concerned with ships' engines, boilers, etc.
- Slang, Baseball a relief pitcher
- A firefighter.
- A man who tends fires; a stoker.
- An enlisted man in the US Navy or Coast Guard engaged in the operation of engineering machinery.
- Baseball A relief pitcher.
- (firefighting) Someone (implied male) who is skilled in the work of fighting fire.
- (rail transport) A man who keeps the fire going underneath a steam boiler (originally, shoveling coal by hand), particularly on a railroad locomotive.
- (rail transport) By extension of the above, an assistant on any locomotive, whether steam-powered or not.
- (baseball) A relief pitcher.
Historically meant only a man, now used to refer to female firefighters as well. In modern usage, the gender-inclusive term firefighter is generally preferred.
- fire truck
- fire engine
- fire extinguisher
- fire hose
fire + -man