The definition of a famine is an extreme shortage, especially of food.
An example of famine is when there is no food and people are starving.
- an acute and general shortage of food, or a period of this
- any acute shortage
- Archaic starvation
Origin of famineMiddle English from Old French from Vulgar Latin an unverified form famina from Classical Latin fames, hunger from Indo-European base an unverified form dh?-, to wither away from source daze
- A drastic, wide-reaching food shortage.
- A drastic shortage; a dearth.
- Severe hunger; starvation.
- Archaic Extreme appetite.
Origin of famineMiddle English from Old French from faim hunger from Latin famēs