- The definition of a famine is an extreme shortage, especially of food.
An example of famine is when there is no food and people are starving.
famine definition by Webster's New World
- an acute and general shortage of food, or a period of this
- any acute shortage
- Archaic starvation
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form famina ; from Classical Latin fames, hunger ; from Indo-European base an unverified form dhē-, to wither away from source daze
famine definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A drastic, wide-reaching food shortage.
- A drastic shortage; a dearth.
- Severe hunger; starvation.
- Archaic Extreme appetite.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from faim, hunger, from Latin famēs.